The Department of Commerce was started in MES college along with its establishment in June 1972. In the initial period, the Department was catering to a night college to take care of employees working in and around Vasco who had not completed graduation. To start with, Accounting & Taxation were the specialised subjects taught to B Com students under Bombay University. After delinking the affiliation of the college with Bombay University, the department started courses in Vocational Education sponsored by UGC in the subject of Foreign Trade & Taxation.
At present, subjects taught cater to the needs of students in Mormugoa Taluka. Currently, there are 2 specialisations in B Com Viz, Accounting and Management. The Department started M.COM with specialisation in Accounting in the year 2016-17 under the Co-ordinatorship of Mrs. Rochana Kharangate (HOD, Commerce Department). The first batch passed successfully with 100% results. The department conducts annual industrial tour during winter break and also Industrial Visits to various industries and to CIBA.
- Extension Activity -Joy of Giving
- Extension Activity - Children’s Day Celebrations at Asha Sadan Social Centre
- Law as a Career option in India
- Trash to Art Competition
- Bridge Course
- Entrepreneurship Development Cell
- Parents Orientation -B.Com
- Journey towards successful Entrepreneur
- Orientation on Chartered Accountant and Company Secretaries
- Session On Competitive Exam-Dept of Commerce
- Orientation programme for First Year B.Com Students
- Department -- Odd & Even Semester Activities for the year 2021-22
- Activities conducted for Academic Year 2021-22
- Report on Commerce Fiesta 2022
- Awareness Drive for new Age Careers
- Report of Commerce Dept. for academic year 2021-22
- Report of Commerce Dept. for academic year 2019-20
- Financial services in Digital India - Challenges and Opportunities
- Report on Annual Study Tour
- Report of Commerce Dept. for academic year 2018-19
The subject Computer Awareness was introduced in the year 1994 as a compulsory paper(only theory) at first year of B.A./B.Com. and also practical component without any marks weightage. In the year 2000 the paper was renamed as Information Technology(theory only) with 40 hours of compulsory practical component. From the Academic Year 2007-08 the paper continued as Information Technology I at Semester I level and Information Technology II at Semester II level of B. A./B.Com. with 40 hours of compulsory practical component, as the Goa University introduced Semester system to all its undergraduate Courses. From the Academic Year 2017-18, Goa University has introduced Choice Based Credit System and under this system the dept. of IT has introduced various Courses in the subject of Computer Science. From 2023-24 CCFUP under NEP2020 has been introduced
At present the dept. has two full time faculty, one regular and the other on contract basis and one on Lecture basis and one Lab Assitant. The dept. has well established IT Laboratory with 21 computer systems including a Server and high speed broad band Fiber Optic connectivity with 200 Mbps speed. The lab facilities are offered to all the students of B.A., B.Com. and also to the Staff members. The department also offers the service of IT Laboratory to conduct various activities such as student registration under GUMS, provide information of staff to Goa University under GUMS, activate and upgrade the laptops given to the students under Cyberage Scheme of Govt. of Goa, carry out project work of final year students and also carry out various academic activities for staff members.
- Role of Data Analytics in Actuarial Science
- Digital Saksharta Abhiyaan 2021-22
- Educational Field trip to GSL
- Best out of E-Waste
- A webinar on Digital Marketing
- Business Analytics using Spreadsheet and Statistical Package Gretel 2019-20
- Click to view IT report for the academic year 2019-20
- Best out of E-Waste Activity
- Talk on ERP module
- Conduct of ISA-II (Assignment) for the academic year 2019-2020 for SEM- II & IV. The above activity is in tune with the notifications received from DHE, dated, 13/05/2019 and MHA, Govt. of India dated, 03/04/2019.
- Click to view IT report for the academic year 2018-19
Best out of E-Waste Competition 2019-20
In our college the subjects of Mathematics and Statistics were offered as compulsory subjects for the faculty of Commerce from 1972-2017. After the introduction of CBCS – Commercial Arithmetic is taught as core course from 2017 (for BCOM semester I and II) and Business Statistics as generic elective Course( for BCOM semester III and IV) from 2018. There are 02 faculty members in the department of Mathematics out of this 01 is full time regular faculty and the other one is contract basis. 01 faculty member of department has cleared CSIR-NET as well SET exam. Teachers of department of Mathematics and Statistics are engaged in conducting various activities for students like organizing innovative competitions which involve real life applications of Mathematics and also conducting CPT and CS coaching in the subjects of Quantitative Techniques and Business Statistics.
- Annual Report
- Inaugural Function of Certificate Course in Verbal Reasoning
- Certificate Course in Verbal Reasoning
- National Level Webinar_Role of Data Analytics in Actuarial Science_20Oct2022
- Annual Report 2021-22
- Time Series Analysis using Gretl software
- Click to view Mathematics & Statistics Dept. activity report for the academic year 2020-21
- Online Talk on Statistical_Quality_Control
- Click to view Mathematics & Statistics Dept. activity report for the academic year 2019-2020
- Click to view Mathematics & Statistics Dept. activity report for the academic year 2018-2019
- Click to view Mathematics & Statistics Dept. activity report for the academic year 2017-2018
- Click to view Mathematics & Statistics Dept. activity report for the academic year 2016-2017
- Click to view Mathematics & Statistics Dept. activity report for the academic year 2015-2016
- Click to view Mathematics & Statistics Dept. activity report for the academic year 2014-2015
Poster Making Competition 2018-19
Rangoli Competition 2017-18
Greeting Card Making Competition 2016-17
Poster Making Competition 2015-16
Environmental Studies & Geography
The Department of Economics has been a very dynamic one since its inception in 1972. The faculty is committed to undergraduate education in Economics. The faculty and students have taken keen interest and have always strived towards achieving excellence in both curricular and extracurricular activities. The establishment of the Economics Club (formerly called Economics Association) in 2006-07 has been a major initiative towards building the overall personality of our students. There are, at present, eight teachers in the Department. The faculty of the Department of Economics is actively involved in research. The faculties have presented papers at various state, national and international seminars/conferences and have research publications and books to their credit. Two of the faculty have been awarded Ph.D. and three of them have registered for Ph.D..
Although The Department of ENGLISH came into existence with the founding of the College in 1972, it was refurbished with the introduction of the three-year integrated BA ENGLISH program in June 2007.Our very First Batch with only three units of LITERAURE IN ENGLISH passed out in April 2010 with 100% Results and 02 Distinction Students and since then we have struck at 100% Results, our Benchmarking. We introduced BA with Entire Six Units of English in 2015. By the end of The Decennial Year in June 2017, we introduced the Post Graduation Course MA in ENGLISH. Indeed we are extremely proud that we are the last of the only four Colleges in Goa to introduce the LITERAURE IN ENGLISH ENTIRE PROGRAM and the FIRST to introduce the MA in ENGLISH, the PG Program.
From the workload of one and a half faculty in 2007, we are as many as Seven Full Time Faculty Members in 2019, emerging to be the largest Department in the ARTS STREAM with the PG PROGRAM. Until 2010, the ENGLISH Teachers from various parts of Goa commuted to the port town of Vasco-Da-Gama to teach ENGLISH in various Secondary and Higher Secondary Schools. Today the town boasts of offering several Good English Teachers to its Educational Institutions and to the surrounding places like Sancoale, Pilar, Taleigao, Verna, Margao, Sanguem and to the other States like Kerala, Maharashtra and Karnataka. One feather in our cap is that one student of our very First Batch Ms Poorwa Naik has been appointed as the faculty member of The Department of English, Goa University. The other student Mr William D’Souza holds a regular post in our own College. The third student Ms Ruvina Khan is an upcoming Journalist working for The Times of India.The fourth Outstanding student of MA in English Ms Cinderella Bhandare Sequeira is a Philosophy faculty (NET cleared) in Parvatibai Chowgule Autonomous College, Margao. Several others teach in the Higher Secondary and Secondary Schools. Some are event Managers, Lawyers, Press Reporters, and so on. The Placement is indeed 100%.